Sunday 20 March 2011

The first cut is the hardest...

Today has, I suppose, almost been the perfect day (well, one spent at home anyway!). We had a decent lie-in, a relaxed start to the day, a bit of shopping (Mikey needed new shoes), coffee with mum and a very pleasant few hours in the garden. This was then followed by a snooze on the sofa, a deep, warm bath and the prospect of a lovely dinner and a glass of wine.

The weather has been beautiful again today and although there was more cloud around, it was mild and sunny. Perfect for giving the lawn the first cut of the year. Except there was one problem...the lawnmower broke! It sounded a bit rattly when I started it up and made more strange noises as I steered it around the garden. I had a feeling I should have just kept going with it but I had to stop to move the lead and then it wouldn't start again. I left it a while but it was, as I said, deader than a dead dodo. So that's one more thing to add to the long list of things that are giving up on us lately...

I finished off the lawn with the strimmer (hard work and noisy) and tidied up all the borders. A lot of my pots were empty so I scattered the compost that was in them all over the soil to give it a bit of oomph and did some pruning. I was pretty pleased with how it looked when I finished even though the lawn really needs some attention. Keith made me a ham roll for lunch and we ate sitting in the garden with the lovely warm sun on our faces. It was bliss!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Janie,
I do so love reading your blog of your trials and tribulations of life and even though I might not comment each day I do read your entries...

Sounds like you are going through the terrible threes with the diswasher packing up,and then the lawn mower.One more thing to break down and then you should be ok from then on...

Yes it has been a beautiful weekend weather wise and next week is supposed to be nice as well..

Enjoy your evening meal
Wendyx

Janie said...

Thank you very much, Wendy! We had a lovely meal (beef casserole) and it was delicious!

I think I'm responsible for all these breakages...on Monday I had another good day...just about to go and write about it...I fear we've passed the terrible threes!

Janie xx