Friday 11 March 2011

Hewlett Packard - their Customer Service sucks!

Following on from the problems I've been having with Sophie's laptop, I called HP's Head Office today to see if I could get any help from them. The laptop was just 14 months old and even though I'd bought it in November 2009 for a Christmas present, the warranty ended in June 2010, which was the first problem.

After being sent around and around in circles I ended up speaking to a very nice woman called Alexa who listened to my story and put me through to the Complaints Department. On hearing that the laptop was out of warranty (I didn't really stand a chance with that, did I?) she told me there was nothing she could do. I calmly explained that I wanted it repaired free of charge, which by law I was entitled to as it was not of satisfactory quality. Nothing would budge her. When I asked if I could speak to her supervisor she said the person wasn't available and wouldn't take calls. We then had a long conversation with me asking why no-one else could take my call (even in Head Office) and her droning on like a robot that as the machine was out of warranty there was nothing she could do. I promised her that I would be taking it further and then called the Citizens Advice Bureau who put me in touch with a very helpful man from Consumer Direct.

The main thing to remember is that even if you've bought something and it's out of warranty you have up to six years to either have it repaired or replaced or get a refund if what you've bought is not of "satisfactory quality". (Sale of Goods Act 1979) I'm also covered by my credit card company as well, so that's another thing to remember. I reasonably asked HP for a repair, they wouldn't hear of it and wouldn't help me at all which I find is unacceptable for a company of their size.

So, my next step on Monday is to write to their Head Office, tell them I have rights and ask for them to repair it. If they can't do that then I'll ask for a replacement or, failing that, a refund taking into account we've had just one year's use. I've already spent £90 on a repair and I certainly can't afford to replace it at the moment. Why should Sophie suffer? Grrrrrr!

No comments: