Saturday 2 February 2013

Flowers, flowers everywhere!

Yesterday my friend Lynda sent me a bouquet of flowers as on Thursday night she realised she'd forgotten my Birthday. I love getting flowers delivered, especially when they are unexpected! I still have some flowers from the bouquet that Mum sent me and I also have two bunches of daffodils so the house is full of flowers! For me, daffodils are the most cheeriest of flowers as they signal that Spring is not too far off and at this time of year I have vases full of them to try and chase the grey winter away.

Having said that, the weather today has been gorgeous - clear blue skies and abundant sunshine, but the wind has been cold. I took Sophie to work then called into the Optician's for a contact lens check which was a bit of a nuisance. It has to be done, but I really didn't like being incarcerated in a small room with the Optician who had obviously had garlic for dinner the night before!

On the way home I called into the garage to get my car washed (I just didn't feel like doing it myself with the wind so cold) and witnessed what could have been a nasty motorbike accident. A young lad had just left the roundabout and turned onto the A43 when his bike skidded across the road and he came off. If I had decided to go home I would have been right on top of him. Luckily the poor man was unhurt as he picked himself up and righted his bike. A lorry driver did stop to ask if he was OK, but when I came out of the garage he had gone so hopefully it was just a case of bruised ego.

I spent the afternoon doing some research on my family tree and discovered that in 1771 my 5th Great Grandfather, John Lamb, married an Elizabeth Gammon! I found that really funny and I wonder if they did, too! This was actually a bit of a breakthrough for me and it was all down to the Family Search website, run by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, an invaluable resource for people researching their family tree, and all of it for free! I've found the research really frustrating lately, but when I get a little gem like this it makes it all worth it!

After picking Sophie up from work, we headed off to the gym for a swim, but the pool resembled human soup. There were seven, yes seven! of us in the Slow Lane at one point so Sophie and I stomped off to the spa in a huff and enjoyed the jacuzzi and sauna for a little while. When we looked back out at the pool, there was only one lady in the lane so we got back in and swam happily for half an hour! Our patience was rewarded in the end!

No comments: