Saturday 16 July 2011

We get a visit from the police...

I had to go into work today as we were short-staffed and very busy with parties. Plus, the weather was forecast to be wet and windy so I had no choice but to go in and help out. Sophie and Mum also came in but we didn't have to be in until 12pm so at least I was able to have a lazy morning with the papers and lots of coffee.

The forecast rain duly arrived and it lashed it down. I had to go and get some diesel for my car and on the way it was more like an Autumn day rather than mid-summer. It was still raining when we set off for work and I was feeling a bit nervous as we can get very, very busy when the weather's horrible.

However, it was a good afternoon with a really relaxed and happy atmosphere in the kitchen. We had a bit of excitement when Jenny, our Manager, came over and told me that there were two police cars in the car park with their blue lights flashing. I went out to investigate and was told by a very stern looking policeman that a man had stolen a car and they'd chased him into our car park! As he'd then escaped, they had the police dog looking for him so I was told to get everybody back into the building.

I went back inside and ten minutes later heard the police helicopter hovering over us, so I stuck my head out of our kitchen door to see a policeman leaning over our fence. He waved at me to get back in, so I did, feeling like a naughty little girl! I've no idea whether they caught the culprit, but we did hear that the roads around us were closed and it caused a bit of excitement among the customers!

Thankfully at 4.30pm Mum, Soph and I were released from duty and we headed home, stopping on the way to get a bottle of Turning Leaf Pinot Grigio as a treat! I have a new DVD to watch tonight - Unknown starring Liam Neeson - which I saw at the cinema so I'm definitely looking forward to that!

No comments: