Saturday 12 February 2011

Family Gathering

We've had a really lovely day meeting up with family whom we haven't seen for three years, since my Nan died in October 2007. I picked a restaurant called Sophie's Choice in Sidcup where we've been before on various Mothering Sundays and Birthdays. It's been a while since I went and although I found the way to Sidcup pretty easily, I got lost in the town trying to find the restaurant which was a bit silly of me, seeing as I'd arranged it! Luckily I was able to call Dad and he guided us in; he'd been using Gladys who in her usual impeccable manner directed him straight to the door! Perhaps it's time we invested in a Gladys of our own!

There were eighteen of us in total and we had the restaurant to ourselves. It was great seeing everyone again and I couldn't believe how my (second) cousins had grown! The last time I saw them they were teenagers but now both of them were very elegant and accomplished young women who were a credit to their parents. It was equally hard to believe that my cousins were either approaching 40 or in their 50s!! Where has the time gone?

We had a delicious and very plentiful meal (mussels in a mariniere sauce, duck - not my original choice but Mikey didn't like it, so had my beef - and tiramisu). The food was lovely and there was plenty of bread and butter on the table and coffee afterwards so everyone waddled out stuffed to the gunnels. The conversation flowed as we all caught up with what everyone else was doing and there are plans to hold it annually. In the past it was always a family tradition to go down to Kent in early February for my nan's birthday, sometimes driving down in heavy snow, so it'll be great to resurrect the occasion. There were also plans to hold an even bigger family get-together with distant cousins and maybe have the celebration in a village hall. My nan had about 10 brothers and sisters so the family is quite big!

It made me realise today how important family is and how vital it is to keep in touch with them. Hopefully we won't leave it too long until we all get together again. I received two beautiful bouquets of flowers as a thank you for organising it all which was a lovely touch. I was delighted as I didn't expect anything at all and enjoyed making all the arrangements. I've put them on display in the window so now everyone will think they're from Keith for the looming Valentine's Day...hahaha!!

My Nan and my dad, July 2006

No comments: