Tuesday 22 February 2011

A bit of excitement...

Driving home from work tonight (and already spooked by seeing the Fire Brigade and an ambulance tearing past near work) we were shocked to get to the village and see a huge cloud of smoke in the sky. When we rounded the corner to head towards home we saw that a huge hay barn in the middle of the village was burning. The amazing thing was that there was no-one about, so I pulled in opposite and we called the Fire Brigade. As so often happens in a situation like that I couldn't remember the name of the road but managed to give directions. By now, a small crowd had gathered but I can't believe we were the first to call the Fire Brigade! We waited as more and more people stopped to watch, some people taking photographs, including us:






The Fire Brigade took a while to arrive (the one we had seen had no connection to this fire) and I started to panic that I'd given them the wrong directions! However, two of them turned up and then there was some confusion as to where the water hydrant was. The smoke was billowing over the village and there were explosions popping off and bits of burning debris floating in the air. The barn is surrounded by three or four houses and I think it had affected one of them as the firemen concentrated on that first.

We left after the firemen closed the road, much to Sophie's disgust!

Update: Just watched ourselves on Look East!!! Much excitement in the household tonight!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Janie,
We could smell this fire as me and hubby walked round our village tonight between 6.30 and 7pm and he said it was like the smell when they used to burn the stubble fields.I don't know where you are situated but we are the new village with the old name up on the hill...

Thanks for sharing the photos and we must try to see Look East later on or tape it so we might know what you look like lol...
Wendyx

Janie said...

I'm really annoyed, Wendy, as I hadn't had time to do my hair or make-up! In fact, today I forgot to put any make-up on so it's typical that I appear on TV!! If you do catch us, you can see a fleeting glimpse of me in a blue shirt standing to the right of the picture and Sophie standing on a fence. The man who sent the footage in is a friend of ours who just happened to be passing by.

I think I know where you are...we are not far away!

Anonymous said...

Hi Janie,

We watched Look East after the 10 o'clock news and saw Sophie I think satnding on the fence and she was wearing a pink top if I am right but don't remember seeing anyone else as the filming was a bit fast so you are ok that you didn't have time to do your hair and makeup lol...

Yes I think I have said where we live and your Keith has visited our village shop now we have one.We often drive through what i think is your village when we go over to Pitsford and Harlestone Firs etc.Nice place to live....
Wendyx

Janie said...

Hi Wendy,

I'm glad you caught a glimpse of Sophie on Look East and so relieved you didn't see me with my wild hair and bare face! :O

We thank our lucky stars we live where we do - and now your shop has opened it's made life a lot easier if we run out of things! Janie xx