Tuesday 20 December 2022

R.I.P Monty-cat

We all had a terrible shock this morning when Sophie found that Monty had died overnight. It was absolutely awful. He had gone behind the television stand in the living room and unfortunately, Sophie was first down this morning. She was devastated.

We knew he hadn't been himself for a while, but he was still getting up and following us into the kitchen and eating some of the tempting food we'd bought for him. He was sleeping more than usual, and we all knew he wasn't going to live forever, but it was still a massive shock, and the house will feel empty without him.

We wrapped him up in blankie and Sophie cuddled him for a while before she went to get ready for work. I think it was a good idea that she went, as sitting moping at home would not have helped. We took her to work, and then returned home to sort things out. I contacted the local Cats' Protection League and arranged to donate his food to one of the local foster carers. Putting it all into a bag made me cry my eyes out.

Keith and I had to go to the Food Bank in Kettering today to take all the food that had been donated, but first I swept up all the leaves around our back door, as we were treading them into the house every time we went out. Keith also took a parcel to our new neighbours next door, which we'd taken in last Tuesday. We had been hoping they come over for it and say hello as the postman had definitely left a card, but in the end, Keith went around with it. The woman appeared at the door and said she'd been meaning to come and get it... Hmmm! I have a feeling we won't be on as friendly terms as we were with Sarah and Liam!

Keith and I went to the Food Bank in Kettering and dropped off many, many bags. They were very busy with donations and crates of food waiting to be delivered. The woman on the desk said thank you and gave us a card which I can give to Sophie to take to work. We kept behind three bags to donate this evening as they were looking completely full and the kitchen area where they were storing the donations was packed!

Before going home we dropped the cat food off at a house in Overstone and I had another cry. I don't think we'll get another cat, but the house will feel very strange indeed without our little furry family member.

In the afternoon I collected Mum and we headed to Tesco, which was looking very busy. I managed to get all my shopping done, and so did she, and after we'd been through the tills, we sat and had a much-needed cup of tea. Mum was sad about Monty. She and Dad had always looked after him when we went away and he would come up to them when they visited as if to say, "Where's the grub?"

I dropped Mum off, returned home to hide the presents I'd bought, and Keith and I went to collect Sophie from work. The traffic was heavy and it was not a pleasant journey. Some of the cars were driving as if they were in the Wacky Races...

Back home, we all felt Monty's absence so it was a very subdued evening. Keith has buried him in the garden next to our beloved Archie, so at least they're now together.


Happy times - December 2019


No comments: