Friday 16 December 2022

A little tipsy!

Today was my last day at work for two weeks, and I was very glad when it was 4pm! I had two weeks' worth of films to put on before I finished and, of course, the phones today were busier than they were yesterday! Typical! I did get them all on, though, so that's one job Sheila won't have to do while I'm off. I also managed to input all the playscheme places for February, so I didn't do bad!

At 4pm I said goodbye to everyone, gathered up some little gifts Sheila and Sara had bought me (I took in a tub of Quality Street) and went home. Yippee! I was due to go out with Andrea, Fiona and Lynda this evening, and Lynda had booked a table at a wine bar next to the Indian restaurant we were going to, but because I'd decided to drive myself, I said I'd see them for the meal.

It's been another very cold day today, and although not as chilly as -7, the temperature certainly hasn't risen to a plus figure. Bizarrely, early next week, the mercury is due to rise to about 13c! How mad is that! That's the British weather for you!

I set out at about 7.45pm after Sophie had titivated my hair for me. I was very lucky and managed to nab a space in the small car park opposite, but I had to walk in the road to cross the street as the sloping paths were covered in a thick layer of ice. I peered through a window and saw my friends sitting around a table, so thinking they were already in the restaurant, I walked in. The extremely friendly waiters mistook me for a headmistress who was due to join a party at a large table, but I explained I was looking for my friends. When I gave Lynda's name, they said they hadn't arrived yet!

I went back outside and into the wine bar where I found all three of them very tipsy indeed! They'd gone through two bottles of red wine in about forty-five minutes, and they tried to ply me with some, but I refused. Apparently, tonight was "Mad Friday" when a lot of people go out celebrating, and I wanted to stay completely sober! Plus, we were leaving early for Southampton tomorrow!

I ushered my boozy friends out of the wine bar and into the restaurant, where we took our seats right at the back. Andrea asked one of the waiters to sort out our Secret Santa presents, and I realised I hadn't attached a label to mine as it was a tiny jewellery box! 

We ordered drinks and looked at the menus, and before we ate we swapped gifts. I received a lovely white single-stem vase that will look great in the kitchen. I think Andrea was delighted with the earrings we bought in Oxford.

By now, we were all hungry so we ordered a lot of food, much to the amusement of the waiters who really were a great bunch!

Curries, onion bhajis, mushroom bhaji, naan and Bombay potatoes!

We didn't receive our main courses until nearly 10pm by which time the noise level had increased with the arrival of a table of men next to us. I have to say there was a great atmosphere and I had a lovely time. We skipped desserts, asked for the bill and I left as the others were waiting for taxis. I gingerly made my way back over to the car park and took it carefully going home!

No comments: