Friday 2 December 2022

An Indian treat!

This week is turning out to be very busy and full of lovely treats! Both Sophie and I were tired this morning after our late night, and we were very glad it was Friday!

I had a pleasant shift at work. Halfway through the morning, Nicola made us all (Sheila, Kathy and me) download the Sparks app from M&S to see what we'd get in their 12 days of Christmas advent calendar. I bagged a free hand cream and Kathy was given a bag of chocolate coins. Nicola was especially full of glee today, for some reason, and disappeared at lunchtime to see our MD, so the afternoon was lovely and relaxed.

The phones were quiet today, and I got a lot done between calls. At 4pm I sped home and relaxed with Sophie who had also finished work at the same time. We sat in the kitchen with a glass of wine and then got ready to go to our village community centre for a night of Indian food, hosted by our friend Sonal and her family. She had first proposed the idea some time ago and wondered whether we'd be interested in paying £25 each for a five-course meal. We had accepted immediately, and we were looking forward to tonight and some authentic Indian grub!

As usual, we were early and there was only one other couple there. We said hello to Sonal and her family and took a seat at the same table. I immediately took a dislike to the couple already seated and I was 99% sure the woman had been one of the volunteers at the last election when I'd been shouted at. I was so sure it was her and my hackles went up! She questioned us about the community centre and whether we used it regularly, and did we work? I didn't want to talk to her, to be honest, and I was glad when Paul and Sharon arrived, and she latched onto them!

The room gradually filled up and the noise level increased. The community centre was lovely and cosy with a huge tree dominating the room. On the table were some Indian snacks and I especially loved the peas, which were deliciously spicy! We had brought our own wine to drink, our favourite New Zealand Pinot Gris.

Our menu for the evening:



Looking at the menu I thought we'd get a choice of one of the starters, the main course, and desserts but we had everything! The food was absolutely delicious and the whole family helped by plating the dishes and serving them. Just before we ate, Lynn and her husband, Tony, arrived so they took the last two seats at our table. There were about 26 of us dining and the atmosphere was lovely.


This dish was particularly delicious and full of different flavours




The evening was immensely enjoyable, and we had great conversation around the table with Lynn who we get on very well with. The night finished at about 11pm and we had to walk up to the top of the road to call Keith to come and pick us up as there was no mobile coverage!

No comments: