Saturday 6 April 2013

Watching squirrels

This morning I took my coffee and toast out onto the terrace and watched the squirrels scamper all over the netting. They really are quite comical as they hang upside down and chase each other! We also get lots of lizards darting about as well, so it's a very pleasant way of passing an hour, soaking up the morning sunshine and watching the golfers lose their balls in the trees!

We had a rest today as I really needed a break from driving. As much as I love this type of holiday, the daily battle on the I-4 can be a bit hair-raising, so it was lovely today to just lie in the sun, read my book and sip a glass of white wine. I know for a fact that if we went somewhere and we didn't have a car I'd feel as if I'd lost a limb, but having a break from driving was bliss today.

The holiday is speeding by very quickly and we're starting to plan out the rest of our week. We were planning to go to Anna Maria Island today, but after all the excitement of yesterday, and the late night, we've decided to postpone the trip until Monday. Sophie wants to go to an Amish restaurant in Sarasota that was featured on one of her favourite restaurants - Man v Food - and I just hope we'll be able to find it!

The weather today has been perfect for sunbathing - not too hot, with the odd fluffy white cloud to temper the heat of the sun. We stayed out by the pool until quite late then showered, dressed and drove to the Irish Bar again for a drink before our meal at Applebees.

As usual we were told it was a 40 minute wait but we were actually seated within 20 minutes so not bad at all. There was a fair bit of bickering between my two this evening as they both wanted different starters, but in the end Mikey conceded and they ordered boneless chicken wings. Our waitress either couldn't understand me or couldn't hear me as the wings arrived covered in one of the hottest sauces we've ever tried, which meant that Sophie refused to eat them. Keith and I ordered onion rings and they were huge!

I fancied a burger tonight so I ordered one with a twist as it was sandwiched into a quesadilla, which on reflection, was a mistake! The french fries were good though! Sophie had a Philly Steak sandwich which she enjoyed (although it wasn't as good as the Miller's Ale House version), Mikey had a burger and Keith enjoyed fish and chips. I think by the time we get home we will be yearning for a good old British roast!

Keith and I had no room for dessert but the children managed to squeeze in chocolatey concoctions! It was lovely to make the very short trip back to the villa and relax with a glass of Rex Goliath Shiraz!


No comments: