Monday 22 August 2011

Stanwick Lakes

Today we went off for a walk to Stanwick Lakes which is about half an hour away from us. The weather was beautiful so we were joined by hordes of other people (mainly mums and their children and loads of dogs) and it reminded me very much of being at work, only outside!

We took a walk but the map wasn't brilliant and there was no information as to how long the walks were, or even where they were, so it was a bit confusing. We found an assault course that the children enjoyed but to be honest, I was less than impressed with the place. Maybe it was intentional but the place looked scruffy, with lots of overgrown weeds everywhere and even around the assault course there were nettles that really should have been cut back. We had a snack in the cafe which had a lovely terrace overlooking one of the lakes. I should have liked it, but I didn't and think that we'll stick to Pitsford in future or even Grafham Water a bit further afield.

Here are a few photographs. I remembered my camera today!:







We treated the children to an ice-cream and then left to go and do some shopping in a wonderfully quiet Waitrose just down the road. I bought a bottle of wine for dad to thank him for helping us decorate and some pizzas for dinner tonight as Sue was coming around for a drink. Waitrose was lovely and I'm just glad it's a bit too far from us to do our shopping every week otherwise I'd be there all the time!

When we got home I did a bit more research into my family tree and I've definitely come to the conclusion that my dad's side of the family were gypsies. I've had a look at a Gypsy and Romany family history site and the name Collins was a common gypsy name in the south of England in the 19th century. I'm not 100% sure but it would explain a few things so I sent for a book on family history from the website which may help a bit further.

Sue came around for a glass of wine in the evening and we had a good chat as we haven't seen each other since the middle of June and it was great to catch up with some gossip!






No comments: