Thursday 14 April 2011

Wednesday 13 April - We go exploring

Every time we go on holiday we always end up having to go to the local pharmacy, and this time was no exception. Sophie had a bit of heat rash which was itchy and uncomfortable so after breakfast we set off for the chemist, a drive-thru one nonetheless, although we went inside in the normal way!

As with all things American it was huge and sold loads of other things as well but we were soon sorted out with some cream and tablets and I treated myself to a new pair of sunglasses as my old pair kept slipping off my nose! Before heading back to the villa we decided to explore so we carried on down Highway 27 to see what else was there. We were hoping for more restaurants and although there was a sprinkling of fast-food places, nothing caught our eye. The really good thing we found, though, was a junction onto the Interstate 4, the main freeway for all the parks. Normally we would drive onto the 192, a long road full of restaurants, shops, crazy golf places (think Blackpool on steroids) and then get onto the I-4 so the new route would save us a lot of time as the 192 has traffic lights every few yards.

We drove back to our community - Highlands Reserve - and decided to have a little mooch to see what else we could find. In the middle of all the houses is a golf course and all the street names are British, which made us feel very much at home! We drove around and to my delight, found a road that led to the local shops and restaurants. It meant that going out I could drive this way and therefore avoid having to cross the very busy two lane main road which was a real relief. This was brought home to me even more, as later in the day when we went out, there'd been an accident at the junction to our community involving two cars, one of which was on its side... It also meant that we could stroll to the restaurant - Applebees - and I would be able to have a glass of wine with dinner! Yippeee!

The children had spotted an ice-cream parlour in the row of shops so begged us to take them there. I duly parked the car but the ice-cream place was closed so we wandered along and found - don't be disappointed  in us - a British pub. Well, we just had to go in to be polite but I think one visit will be enough. We did manage to get hold of The Daily Mail so I would be able to get my fix of the crossword!

We spent the afternoon by the pool and then went to Universal again at 4pm. The heat wasn't as intense as it had been the previous few days and, as the park was closing at 6pm, it was emptying out fast. We still managed to ride Spiderman again and Harrry Potter (even better the second time) while Keith and Sophie went on the Jurassic Park River Adventure and got soaked. Sophie then managed to persuade her brother to ride on one of the smaller roller-coasters, Flight of the Hippogriff, which he loved.

By now everything was closing so we hobbled back to Citywalk (our feet were a bit sore!) and had dinner at the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co, a wonderful themed restaurant based on the Forrest Gump film. It's located right at the entrance of Citywalk and so was very lively, busy and noisy. It goes without saying that the speciality is shrimp (prawns) so Keith and I went for the Shrimp Heaven while the children had burgers. The food was delicious and plentiful and as this was my choice for the Come Dine with Me competition, I hope I did well. Keith chose a beer and for a few dollars extra, he got to take the glass home with him, which was great, especially as we collect beer glasses! After the meal, when we went to the shop to collect Keith's glass, Mikey bought himself a hat while Sophie chose a lovely Bubba Gump tee-shirt so all in all I think my choice was a hit!

No comments: