Saturday 2 April 2011

Getting lost...

This morning we set off early for Wellingborough as DPD had tried to deliver Sophie's laptop yesterday, while we were out shopping. We looked up the address on Google maps and had a vague idea of where it was. We were fine until we reached the industrial estate and became completely lost! We saw numerous DPD vans about so it was a mite frustrating. Sophie had no idea we were going to pick up her laptop and kept whining in the back about being murdered because the area did look a bit dodgy! Even when we found the depot, we still couldn't find our way to the main office! A bit of signage would not go amiss, methinks!

Of course, Sophie was delighted to get her beloved laptop back and to celebrate we went to MacDonald's for breakfast. Despite nearly being mown down on the way out of the car-park, we had a good time. Back home, the laptop worked perfectly so all is well. I'm so pleased it's been repaired and sent back to us before the holiday and I will be sending a thank-you letter to Mr Wilson at HP (the big cheese) for the prompt service. Maybe he should train all his staff in the Complaints Department a bit better so customers would not have to trouble him in the future!

I spent a rather boring hour sorting out all the phone chargers and other miscellaneous electrical items that were stuffed into one of our drawers. Most of them had got themselves into a tangled mess and it had got to the point where the drawer wouldn't close properly because a lead would be hanging out of it if you tried to ram it shut. I found about eight phone chargers (half of them obsolete), adaptors, USB cables and other nameless bits of tangled wire and shoved them all into a box to put in the garage. I also found my old camera and after putting a couple of batteries in, it miraculously worked again! The last time I tried it was dead so maybe my luck is changing and things will start working again if I leave them long enough!

I also had a stern word with Sophie about her new phone. Much against my better judgement, I have taken out a contract on a new Blackberry for her, which includes "unlimited" texts. I had a very good online chat with a Vodafone representative when I ordered it for her last week and I asked what unlimited meant. I found out it was 3000 texts a month and I was sure that not even she could exceed that. Keith and I worked it out that she would be able to send around 100 texts a day and to our horror we found out that yesterday, after getting her mitts on it after school, she had sent 100 by 9pm last night... I have warned her that if she exceeds that and I get a large bill I will confiscate it and keep the phone for myself and that she'll spend a long time working to pay me back. The agreement is that she will contribute to the monthly contract price from her wages and I think she gets the message now. Woe betide her if she doesn't!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad Keith has a 'man drawer' as well, the place men keep leads, take away menus, Francs and drachma, old batteries and instructions for toasters we no longer have!!
SWS

Janie said...

Ours is in the bottom drawer in one of the units in the kitchen. Do you have old combs in yours as well? And mysterious things that you try and throw out and the man of the house says, "NO! I'll need that one day!" even though it's been in there for about 10 years...

Anonymous said...

No combs, I have no use for them, but thats the point of a man drawer, you store things there so in 10 years time when you ask 'have you still got that thing' you can say yes its in the man drawer, of cause you can never find any thing in it when you do need something, as you found out!