Thursday 14 April 2011

Thursday 14 April - Not amused by Aquatica...

We all learnt a little lesson today. If you want something you have to get up early for it. Well, you do in Florida, anyway! Our plan was to spend the day at Aquatica but by the time we'd had breakfast, been showered and dressed, it was almost 11am. We took our new route onto the Interstate 4 and the first sign of trouble was the traffic jam that held us up for about twenty minutes. We found Aquatica easily enough and opted for the preferred parking as the sun was steadily growing hotter and Keith wanted the least possible distance to walk to the entrance.

As soon as we walked in, I didn't like it. No idea why, but I just knew I wasn't going to enjoy it as much as I'd imagined I would. I went first to the Guest services to see if we could hire a cabana, somewhere to get changed, keep cool and relax while the children went off to have fun. However, after queuing for quite a while I was told there were no cabanas.

Now imagine a busy packed beach, no shade (or if there is any it's already been taken) and people everywhere. Not my idea of fun, and luckily not my family's idea either. We wandered about, feeling ridiculously over-dressed and tried to find somewhere with some shade. No luck. The Germans could learn a thing or two about Aquatica's customers! I'm perhaps being a little unfair as the place is lovely if you have a cool shady base to retreat to when it all gets too much. I was prepared to pay $100 for such a retreat and seeing as it wasn't available (we were too damn lazy to get up and get to the park early!) and as I couldn't bear the thought of lying out in the full Florida sun all day, we left. I'm just glad that the park was included in our Flex ticket as I'd have hated to pay full price for such a short stay.

We headed back home and on the way stopped for an ice-cream to treat the children. Mikey was the only one really disappointed that we came home, Sophie confessing that she hated water parks anyway! The rest of the day was spent blissfully in our own, very roomy, cabana!

No comments: