Monday 12 July 2010

Rain!

Well, the promised rain arrived today and it's been very unsettled. Because I couldn't really get out into the garden I did the housework which needed doing. But it will have to last the week as it was never the idea to spend all day every day this week hoovering and dusting! Keith and I did go out for coffee this morning so at least we had half an hour of relaxation!

By early evening the rain had stopped and I re-planted my tomatoes, put the mint firmly into a lovely terracotta pot and swept all the willow leaves from the front garden. Although it had rained off and on throughout the day, the soil was still dry and a bit dusty. I think we will need sustained rainfall to make a difference at the moment after the days of drought. Sue pulled up on her way into her drive and then came over with two bunches of flowers and a bottle of white wine for looking after the garden which will go down very well!

One annoying niggle today - I had an email from the school about their "Sports Day". I put it in inverted commas as they put on this team sports event where all the children have to do about eight different tasks, so not really sports day as I used to know it. Anyway...it's tomorrow! Talk about late notice!  And then on Thursday there's a celebration as the school will be 100 years old... Well, I told Mikey I'm not going! I don't mind "Sports day" but on Thursday Keith and I have planned a mooch (a sort of upmarket pub crawl) and we're not spending the afternoon being bored rigid...He was fine about it (didn't even realise it was on) and has excused us on the grounds of doing vital research into local pubs...He's definitely his father's son!!!

No comments: