Sunday 11 July 2010

Making hay while the sun shines...

Keith and I went for a lovely walk this morning. At first, I was a bit reluctant as I thought it was too hot, but there was a gorgeous breeze that made it bearable. Two farmers were busy baling hay and stacking it, the sky above was a deep cornflower blue and all the smells of the warm countryside were wonderful.



We spent a very pleasant hour wandering in the fields, tasting the oats and corn and saying hello to our neighbours who were out walking. It was great to be getting some exercise and enjoying the weather and I could feel all the stresses and strains melting away as we gazed up at the sky and the views all around us. There were quite a few helicopters about as today was the British Grand Prix at Silverstone and the aerial activity carried on for much of  the day.




In the afternoon we ventured out to the garden centre with mum (much to Sophie's annoyance) and I bought a new trough for my tomato plants which have outgrown the pots I put them into. I also bought some mint as Keith loves it on new potatoes and with lamb. We stopped at mum's for a drink and it was bliss sitting on their patio and enjoying the warmth.

So, it's been a lovely day and I have a week off to look forward to! I've heard it's going to rain...after so long of praying for it, I can hardly complain can I??

2 comments:

kitchen princess said...

My top tip for mint is to plant it into the ground in it's pot. I planted one once straight into the soil and it took over the whole herb patch. We are due rain over night, the ground really does need it.

Janie said...

Thank you - I've heard it can rampage through the borders so I'll probably put it into a tub! No rain here yet, just very grey...looks like I may have picked the wrong week to take off!!!