Friday, 4 September 2026

What day is it?

It felt weird having today off, but lovely at the same time! After an early blood test at the GP surgery, I pootled about while Keith went to Tesco to do our weekly shopping. When he got back and had eaten some lunch, we drove to Northampton to visit Homesense. We needed a new container for the wine corks we keep, and I knew they would have a good choice.

We were, indeed, spoiled for choice, and we picked out a huge wine/sundae glass that should accommodate them, with room for more! I also bought some new white cotton pillowcases, two pillow protectors, a candle and some white bowls, as we are badly in need of them!


We drove home; I left Keith there and went over to see my Mum for an hour. The carers were glad to see me, as apparently, my  Mum had been asking and asking where I was and had refused to get out of bed this morning. She seemed fine when I sat with her and chatted, but I was still worried about how thin she was. Jessica, one of her carers, said she only wanted to eat sweet things, which, nutritionally, weren't that good for her.

I showed her a picture I'd taken of her on her 80th birthday, and I was shocked at the change in her, to be honest. I'm honestly not sure how much more weight she can lose.

Back at home, I looked forward to a relaxing evening; perhaps I should have Friday off instead of Wednesday! Keith went to the pub while Sophie and I opened a bottle of red Sablet and watched a Netflix documentary called The Pastor's Wife. Sophie had said one of her friends had enjoyed it, but it left me cold. We started to watch episode two, but I lost interest!

Keith had prepared a spicy chilli for dinner, and afterwards we watched Top of the Pops from 1985. I swooned over Morten Harket, as he was then. He was definitely my teen pin-up! He is now 66! Sophie went outside to try to get the cats in and bumped into Lynn and Daphne the dog. She had been in the garden eating the cocktail sausages that Sophie had put down for Barry the badger! Daphne is the sweetest dog! She came over for lots of cuddles and strokes, and we chatted to Lynn until the chill of the evening air drove us back inside. It's definitely Autumn now!

No comments: