Saturday, 19 September 2026

Cars galore!

We had planned a weekend of staying home, with only a trip to the recycling centre to get us out of the house, but it didn't work out that way!

We spent the morning looking at cars on online selling platforms like Cinch and Carwow, and I almost bought two! One was an Audi Q3, but it was more than we wanted to pay and would have used a lot of our savings. The other was a white Peugeot 3008, and I called to see if I could arrange a test drive. It wasn't possible, but as I looked at it, it disappeared and said it was sold!

We looked at so many cars that we began to feel a bit shell-shocked, and they all began to blur into one mass! In the end, we started to be ruthless with our choices, such as discounting any without a spare wheel, but in the end I decided I wanted to see the car, drive it and make sure it's OK before I take the leap.

Sophie prepared tonight's dinner of chicken casserole while I took all the hearts down in the conservatory to do some cleaning. They were all festooned with cobwebs, and some of them were well past their best, so we decided not to put them back up. I gazed with dismay at the roof of the conservatory that needed cleaning, and submitted an enquiry to a local company.

We pottered about for another couple of hours, and went to see my Mum in the afternoon. She seemed a bit confused again, but then said as clearly as anything to one of the carers, "Did you have a good couple of days off?" We were speechless, as when speaking to us she wasn't making a lot of sense and seemed to have no idea what day it was! Hmmm! We stayed for an hour and tried to get the television working, as she had lost all of the terrestrial channels, such as BBC1, etc. 

Before heading home, we popped to the pub for a drink and a bite to eat. We hadn't eaten much at all during the day, so we ordered a bucket of chips (a very small bucket!), some tzatziki with Greek flatbread, and chicken satay. The food was delicious, and it was lovely to sit, relax and look forward to our Saturday evening.

We got home after Keith, who had been to see Sileby, told him we'd been to the pub and didn't want dinner... thankfully, he didn't mind! Sophie and I played Scrabble with a Vesper each, and almost had a bickerfest about the scores. I'd been leading, and then Sophie went way ahead! I ended up winning, but I think my daughter was annoyed with me!

We finally watched What Lies Beneath, and Sophie spent most of the time screaming. It was a good, scary film, and Harrison Ford looked very handsome in it! Swoon!

No comments: