Wednesday 6 September 2023

Basil goes on holiday...

It was lovely to have a little lie-in this morning, as Sophie had elected to work from her office because of the high temperatures forecast. I don't think that sitting in the full glare of the sun in the conservatory would have been a good idea!

I have been a real busy bee today, managing to cross a lot of tasks off my list before lunchtime. I changed Sophie's bed and washed her bedding as well as doing another two loads of laundry, paid some bills, caught up with blog entries, hand-washed a couple of garments, sorted the fridge out and started packing. Phew! I also made the porridge for tomorrow and my lunch as I really didn't want to have to do it later.

After a midday shower, Keith and I drove over to Brixworth to take a parcel Sophie wanted to return, and then we went to collect my parents from the care home to take them to Tesco. It was unseasonably hot today, and to make it worse I had to wear jeans as all my summer clothes were waiting to be packed! I was boiling! Earlier in the day I'd sneaked a peek at the weather forecast for Amboise and Rocamadour and was slightly dismayed to see the temperatures would be about 34c! I wasn't prepared for that!

We were able to stow the wheelchair in the boot with ease and drove the short distance to Tesco. I had decided to get the VW valeted as I had neither the time nor the inclination to wash it myself. For £30, the carwash men did a fabulous job of getting it lovely, shiny and clean!

We had a cup of coffee first, and I was amazed to witness a woman disrupt the whole queue, and interrupt the man making our coffee, so she could get 30% off a slice of cake. She'd already paid for it, so the poor staff had to key it all in again and then charge her 30% less... Talk about being entitled! I wouldn't have dared but these days people only seem to think of themselves.

After having a coffee, I shopped with Mum and Dad and I made sure they were stocked up with everything they needed while we were away. My Mum seemed a little vague again and didn't know what she wanted. I'd told her to write a list but obviously, she had forgotten!

I reclaimed the lovely, shiny car, we took them back and then it was home to try and cool down a bit. Sophie was already there, as she'd finished early, and was delighted that I'd sorted out the porridge and lunch.

In the evening I dropped her off at the pub so she could meet Vikesh and his brother and sister-in-law. They were having a meal and taking part in the pub quiz so Keith and I were on our own tonight. We opted for a simple supper of prawn salad and wholemeal bread, perfect for such a stifling evening.

Sophie arrived home at about 10.30pm and gave our little Basil plant to Vikesh to look after while we were away. I watered our cacti family and sat the orchid in the sink with water and then it was time for bed, with the fan full on!


No comments: