Wednesday 21 December 2011

Mikey surprises me!

Today has flown by! Again, the sky was a beautiful shade of blue, there was just the merest hint of a breeze and we spent all day lying by the pool, reading and listening to music. It was very warm, not too hot, but warm enough to want to have a dip in the pool to cool off a little.

In the evening we drove over to the marina to feed the fish and have a drink at one of the bars. The fish gobbled up our leftover bread and an eel ventured out from beneath his rock to try and grab a little bit. As it was about 6pm, we took lots of photos of the gorgeous sunset as the sky turned from blue to pink and then to orange. 





The marina was very quiet again and there were hardly any people about. I’ve no doubt the place is buzzing in the summer but the lack of custom must be very worrying for the bar and restaurant owners who still have all their bills to pay.

After enjoying a drink at the Café del Mar we drove back into Playa Blanca where I called mum from a payphone. I’ve tried very hard not to use my mobile as the charges can be extortionate so buying a phonecard was a wise move and hopefully I won’t get any nasty surprises on my bill when I get home. Mum told me the weather was horrible back in the UK – cold and wet and miserable so I’m not looking going back to that. I may have been a bit jealous if it was freezing cold with blue skies and sunshine!

Dinner tonight was at a restaurant called La Chalanita, right on the front. We sat at a table overlooking the sea (and the marina in the distance) and studied the menu which was a bit more expensive than the places we’d been to over the last couple of days. The starters ranged from about 8-10 euros and the main courses from 15-20 euros or more, if you decided to go for lobster! We skipped starters and went straight into the main course and Mikey surprised me completely by choosing King Prawns! Sophie and I went for a two person dish – flambéed beef stroganoff while Keith chose lamb shoulder. I opted for a Rioja to go with the meal having given up on the Lanzarote wines for a while.


We were given the ubiquitous bread and olives and then the head waiter arrived at our table with a trolley and an array of ingredients to make our beef stroganoff, which he did with great flourish and lots of flames! The food was very good indeed and Mikey thoroughly enjoyed his prawns, competently shelling them and disposing of the heads and tails before relishing the juicy flesh. Keith said his lamb was slightly over-cooked but he enjoyed it nonetheless and Sophie and I really enjoyed our beef which was in a delicious thick and creamy sauce.


The bill came to a shade over 100 euros despite us just having a main course, so I dread to think what it would have been if we’d indulged in starters and desserts! On the way home we called into an ice-cream parlour and treated the children (and me!) to a cone which did very well as a dessert!

No comments: