Wednesday 7 December 2011

Misunderstandings!

We're really firing up for Christmas now at work and first thing this morning Keith and Ian put up 800 lights on one of the trees next to our entrance gates. I stayed in the warm office as outside it was beautiful but very cold and windy. Keith came into the office to say that they would have to choose just one of the trees to put the lights in and I looked at him open-mouthed. "They're only going on one tree! The one nearest the gate!"

I won't repeat here what Keith said but a few minutes later I went out to see what he was doing and he was almost hanging from the ladder with a long stick trying to get them all back down. He didn't look very happy...

Fortunately both of them finished the job without any more problems and when I left work at 6pm I was very pleased with results, although you wouldn't think there were 800 lights! I dread to think how much it costs to do every tree on the banks of the Thames like the ones I saw in London once!

After Keith had thawed out a bit we went over to the bank and into Tesco to get some ingredients for our cook to make more mince pies. It was a bit manic in there and I saw the weird grey-haired man from the other week. He wasn't muttering to himself today but I made sure I gave him a wide berth when I saw him, just in case he decided to freak out! He must be a regular visitor to the store as everyone else was just ignoring him.

Back at work I eagerly awaited a young lady who was coming in for an interview. I was really hoping that she would be ideal to take the place of Jenny who works on Reception at the weekends and who is leaving just before Christmas. We need someone really special for the job - a sort of Mary Poppins character would be ideal - and although she was only 19, I remained optimistic.

Well, 2pm came and went and I was very annoyed that she hadn't turned up. I checked the emails and asked Polly if anyone had phoned, but nobody had. Just before I reached boiling point I decided to check the messages again in case I'd made a mistake, and noticed an email (supposedly from me!) that mum had sent on Friday to reply to her request to move the interview to 4pm! I have threatened mum with a smacked bum for forgetting to tell me! I do sometimes wonder if technology is the best way of communicating after all!

No comments: