Friday 9 December 2011

An uphill struggle!

I'm afraid this blog entry may be a bit of a rant but I am totally fed up with being let down by various companies this week, some of whom are huge, well respected businesses!

We've had a whole week of problems with Nectar Business regarding the fax machine we ordered back in the middle of November. It failed to arrive within the 10 day delivery timeframe so last week I phoned the Nectar helpline to find out what was happening. I was shuttled back and forth between Nectar and Viking Direct four times before I finally lost my patience as nobody seemed to know what had happened to the order and for that matter, didn't seem to care. In the end I spoke to a helpful woman at Viking who assured me that there was no order with them and that I had to speak to Nectar direct. I had a feeling I was calling India when I phoned Nectar and I was assured that they would resolve the problem and phone me back within three days.

Well, of course, this never happened so yesterday I called Nectar again and threatened them with all sorts of nasties including seeking legal advice, writing rude posts on the Nectar Facebook page and writing to the company that owns Nectar and making a formal complaint. Nectar have had almost 13,000 of our points for the fax machine and I said I refused to get off the phone until either the points were refunded back to the card or I had a firm order for the fax. As I write, I've had an email from a woman at Nectar promising that the fax has been ordered but knowing our luck it will get caught up in the Christmas post and we'll receive it in 2012!

We're also waiting on an invoice to be paid from a very well-known supermarket...we were promised the money as payment for a Christmas party they had here last week and as of today, no cheque has arrived.

But it's not just big companies that are mucking us about...one of our neighbouring companies was given the task of producing us a new times and prices sign for the entrance to the building and despite having had it now for almost two months, still haven't come up with the goods, despite my repeated phone calls!

And, of course, there's the insurance for my new car - I phoned Keith at home to see if the letter from LV had arrived and there was no letter. The deadline of the 16th is approaching (I called them on Tuesday to extend the date as of today I wouldn't have been insured any more to drive it) and I'm panicking that they will cancel my insurance and I'll be left on a blacklist! Not a happy feeling!

Oh, and did I mention the First Aid cards I sent for back in the early part of October? I ordered them from the Daily Mail and sent a cheque to include a binder which was cashed three weeks ago but no sign of the cards. After much searching I finally found the number to call and rang them to be told they'd had an "unprecendented demand" and that as my cheque has been cashed they should be with me soon! Hmmm! I won't hold my breath!

I find it amazing that at the moment, when the UK is facing recession and people are losing their jobs, these companies can be so cavalier when it comes to fulfilling their promises. As someone who runs a business (or tries to!) I find it vitally important to be as helpful and accommodating as possible. We may get it wrong, but at least we do try!

OK, rant over...it's almost the weekend!

No comments: