Sunday 23 January 2011

Not a good day for a walk!

This morning, at my suggestion, we drove over to Stoke Bruerne for a canalside walk. The weather was dull and grey but I really wanted to get out in the fresh air and get some exercise after being in the house most of the day yesterday.

Unfortunately, Sophie wasn't so keen and we had a bit of an argument as she thought the walk was boring even though I said it was better than going over the fields behind the house. We walked for about half an hour, turned around and then went back to the car, stopping to see a narrowboat enter a lock on the way. I'd forgotten how much hard work it is opening and closing the lock gates as when I was a teenager I regularly went on narrowboat trips with my sixth form class and we had a brilliant time. I'm not so sure Sophie would agree with me!

After lunch Keith and I set out for a stroll into the village, but frustratingly his hip started to hurt. I urged him to go back to the house, but stubborn as ever, he refused so we pushed on into the village and on the return walk he suddenly said it didn't hurt any more! Weird!

We had a bit of drama on Friday when Keith met up with his mate who he sees at the pub. His 17 year old son had taken his dad's car out for a spin without permission and had lost control of it near to where we live, rolling it over twice and ending up in the hedge. Amazingly the young lad was unhurt but I think he'll be in a fair bit of trouble and the car is a write-off. Before going home we went to have a look to see if we could find the registration plate for Keith's friend, but all we found was small shattered bits of it...

So, all in all, not a very good day for a walk. I think in future we'll leave our own moody teenager at home!






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane, must admit our 'moody teenager' doesn't join us on walks anymore. Bit of a shame but part of growing up, I think. Takes a little time getting used to it though.Cheryl xx

Janie said...

It certainly does, Cheryl...oh well!