Tuesday 18 January 2011

A little wine appreciation.

It was a welcome relief to see the sun today - what a difference it makes to my mood! Work has been OK and mum and I drove back to Hinckley to pick up the bouncy castle that had been in for repair. It was lovely to get out and about for a change as yesterday I was chained to my computer with masses of paperwork.

At home I tasted the two wines I bought on Saturday in Duncan's shop and was surprised to find that one of them was a blend of Chenin Blanc, Chardonnay, Viognier and the little known Clairette Blanc so that is a no-no for the Wine Evening as it has to be just one grape variety. It was a powerful, heady wine from South Africa at a magnificent 14.5% so not to be trifled with! It was called The Liberator Episode 1 and looks a real character!

The other wine, a true Chenin Blanc, was called Beaumont from Walker Bay in South Africa and was as far away from my beloved Vouvray as it's possible to be. I was not keen, I have to admit, as it had a bitter, tart  aftertaste that didn't go down very well at all with me. However, I think I may still take it with me and take along a Vouvray as well, to contrast and compare. It will be interesting to see what the others think!

No comments: