Monday 9 August 2010

Return to summer?

Well, I thought it was, but as I write this it's pouring with rain. It put an abrupt stop to our nocturnal hunt for whatever is eating all our plants. Examining the leaves gave us no clue so we thought we'd venture out after dark with the torch and have a look, but it seems that our little nibblers don't like the rain either as we didn't see a thing!

So, it was warm today and we were very quiet at work. On the way home, mum and I stopped off at Beckworth Emporium to have a look at some plants and for me to buy some vegetables for dinner. I bought an upright plant with frond type leaves and lovely purple spikes of flowers but mum didn't see anything she liked. I always think of this as the in-between time for gardens. A lot of the plants for sale wouldn't last into the winter and the pansies and violas won't be available until a bit later.

On a personal note, I scored a little victory tonight that made me feel good. I seldom say "no" when someone asks a favour but this evening I did. A neighbour caught me as I was going to get Keith from the pub and asked me to look after her cat, water her plants, put the bins out, etc...I was caught last year but this time I was ready. As I already look after two houses (three if you count mum's) I normally don't mind but this particular lady is always on the scrounge. Whenever I see her approach, my heart sinks as she always wants something from me and never ever returns the favour. I can't count her as a friend as I rarely see her and when we do meet she does nothing but moan. I had my excuse ready this time, though and said I couldn't commit to feeding animals as we may go away ourselves (which could be true!). She then said she would ask our immediate neighbour but they are away as well, so I don't know which poor soul will end up feeding the cat twice a day, watering all her baskets and putting the rubbish out! One thing for sure, it won't be me!

No comments: