Saturday 7 August 2010

Friday 6 August

The summer is in full swing now and everyone I know seems to be off on their holidays. This year, for the first time in ten years, we won't be packing our cases and joining them, but (apart from the odd niggle) I'm not sad. I'm looking forward to spending two weeks at home for once and having all my home comforts which I miss so much when we go away. I miss our bed most of all as, unless we're really lucky, we rarely get a King or Super-king bed wherever we stay and sometimes the beds have been unbelievably uncomfortable. Keith and I are used to having a bed where we can't even touch each other through the night so if we have to share a double we're guaranteed a bad night's sleep! We bought our bed 10 years ago when the children had a habit of joining us through the night. At times we had both of them crawling in so having a large bed was the solution as we can all fit in reasonably comfortably and they still jump in when we're having a lazy morning.

Other things I won't have to miss will be somewhere comfortable to sit and watch a good film. We've rented villas in the past with dodgy television reception and hard sofas. Sometimes in the evening, all we've wanted to do is have a BBQ and then watch a good film, but as we don't speak Spanish or German, watching a good film has been impossible! However, one year, in Mallorca we did rent a villa that had BBC1, BBC2 and ITV so we were able to keep up our daily viewing of Neighbours all through the holiday! Now that Neighbours has moved to Channel 5 I think even that would go by the wayside!

I have one more week of work and then I'm off for two weeks. We're planning on going back to Southwold for a day, this time properly equipped with swimsuits and suntan lotion. Well, that's if the sun ever shines again. Friday was dismal, grey and miserable! What has happened to our summer?

No comments: