Monday 5 September 2011

Turning back time

A new DVD arrived today from Amazon. Since researching my family tree I've become very interested in life in Victorian times (and earlier) and I thought that buying a DVD about life on a farm in Victorian times would help give me a better picture as to how my family lived in the 1800s as most of them were farm labourers with the odd blacksmith or "Horsekeeper" thrown in.

I ordered "Victorian Farm" which I'd missed when it appeared on television (I did manage to watch Edwardian Farm) but included in the box set was "Tales from the Green Valley" with the same people living for a year and working a farm in what was supposed to be 1620. I found it fascinating (my family think I am very sad) but I never did history at school as I hated the History teacher so I feel I've missed out on a lot of education. It was really interesting to see them struggling with life in the 1600s and I certainly appreciated going into my kitchen after I'd watched one of the episodes and just turning on the oven to cook our evening meal! As much as I love the modern world and all its fabulous inventions, part of me would love to go back in time and just live in a bygone age for a little while. The countryside on the film looked beautiful as did the old farmhouse with its stoneflagged floors and huge open fires. A romantic view probably, but I did envy the people taking part who, no doubt, went back to the comfort of modern living when the filming at the end of the day was over!

No comments: