Sunday 21 November 2010

Writer's Block!

Last night I sat down to write this and just couldn't come up with anything to write, even though I had lots to say! It was a bit ironic seeing as I'd just completed a course on writing! After three attempts to write something interesting about Friday, I gave up and went and watched Twin Peaks instead which is being repeated on one of the Sky Horror channels. I was a big fan of the cult series the first time around and it's still just as good and weird as it was in the late 80s.

Yesterday evening was the perfect time to watch something like Twin Peaks. We had fog all day - a real misty, damp and grey November day that was a hangover from the weather the previous day, although we did have a glimpse of sun on Friday afternoon.

I had booked to go on a course yesterday at a school in Kettering and if I'm honest, really didn't want to go. Both Keith and I have colds again (although his is far worse than mine, he's definitely got man-flu) and all I wanted to do was curl up on the sofa and do very little. But I forced myself to go and I was very glad I did as the course was extremely helpful and the little group of us got on really well.

First of all, though, I thought it had been cancelled as when Keith dropped me off at Reception the doors were locked. A little man appeared and told me that the course was in a different building and showed me the way. I was a little alarmed as I followed him off up the road, but Keith drove along behind me and all was well when I found our alloted classroom for the day. The course was led by a lovely woman called Jane Hill who has had three novels published. There was only one other lady in the classroom but slowly another four people managed to find us even though there should have been twelve of us in total.

It was great to have a few hours to concentrate on something other than work or family and I learned a lot about the structure of a novel, plot points, planning and then the difficult business of getting the thing published. I plan to re-write the novel I've already written called Staring at the Sun and at the end of the day I could see how to streamline it and take some of the silly plots out that are in the original story.

We had a very relaxing evening, a delicious beef casserole for dinner and the last episode of the drama, The Pillars of the Earth which finally came to its dramatic conclusion! 

No comments: