Tuesday 11 October 2011

Sunday 9 October

After another lazy morning, Sophie and I went off to the Wood Green Animal Shelter in the afternoon with mum and dad as they wanted to look for a cat to replace dear old Jake. It took about half an hour to drive over to Godmanchester (whoever thought up that name?!) and when we arrived we went straight to the "Cat Village".

As the name suggests, there were lots of cabins with little cat runs in them with a notice beside each one with a description of the cat inside. The kittens were all reserved but mum and dad were looking for a male cat of about 2-3 years old and they didn't see any that made them stop and want to give the animal a new home. This was further reinforced when they say the prices for giving a cat a new home - £70! We all thought this was a bit on the steep side - is it there to deter owners who aren't really that committed?

We couldn't leave without going to see the dogs which was a bit risky for us as I've yearned for a dog for ages. Again, the cute ones were all reserved but there were a lot of Staffordshire Bull terriers looking for a new home, and despite all the signs saying how loving, faithful and friendly they are, I'm just not sure. Most of them definitely couldn't be re-homed with cats or children under about 10 years so that tells you something, in my opinion.

Back in Northamptonshire we had a cup of tea and cake at mum's house and then it was home to watch Groundhog Day (again!) followed by a delicious roast!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my nieces used to work for Wood Green and has only just recently left there.She really enjoyed her time working with all the animals but ended up taking home too many cats and rabbits so her house is a bit crowded now lol....

Wendyx

Janie said...

Hi Wendy!

There is no way I could work somewhere like that! Like your niece,my house (and garden) would be full of animals! I have to say that quite a few of the cats and dogs were out in foster homes which I thought was a good idea as at least they were in a proper home rather than being in a run.

Does make your heart break, though, when you read about their history and you see that their owner has died. Very sad.

Janie

Anonymous said...

I remember when we got Padge, I could have brought them all home, well, nearly! Agree about Staffies, they are lovely pets but are terriers & everything that goes with that 'family' of dogs. We have a terrier & I wouldn't have trusted him with small kids when he was younger, a big softie now though still mischievous.
Cheryl x

Janie said...

Padge is lovely, Cheryl...looks like he has real character!

I think I've been spoiled by Max the dog-next-door!

Jane x