Sunday, 19 July 2026

Tidying up

Sophie was back at Woburn today, meeting her friend Laura and her dog, Wilbur. They were driving separately, and as we walked back to the car last night, we both realised it was the Sunday Food Market in Woburn today.

Sophie was worried about getting a parking space, so she left a little earlier. I had advised her to take the same route that we used yesterday, as the M1 with no hard shoulder makes me nervous. I really don't trust Olive at the moment!

Sophie texted me when she got to Woburn to say there were no spaces at all in the car park, and she was seething. She wished she'd postponed for another date, preferably when the market wasn't on! In the end, she suggested Woburn Sands, and she and Laura parked in a lay-by before walking back to Woburn itself. It had put Sophie in a bad mood, so I don't think she really enjoyed her day out.

Back at home, I decided to tackle the garden and try to tidy it up a bit. I cut back some plants that were clearly struggling with the hot, dry conditions, knowing they would bounce back when the weather changes. I'm just glad I didn't put down the grass seed I'd bought!

How dry the grass is!

When I finished, the garden looked slightly better, but there is still a lot to do! Maybe after a period of continuous rainfall!

I spent the afternoon pottering about and Sophie returned home at about 4:00pm. We sat and chatted in the kitchen, and she told me all about her day, which she hadn't really enjoyed. We opened a bottle of rosé before dinner (one we'd enjoyed in France), which was beefburgers, salad and potato wedges.

After dinner, we watched a new episode of Fake or Fortune, featuring a woman who was convinced she had a Fabergé flower. It was a real roller-coaster of an episode, and both Sophie and I thought the woman was a bit of a fantasist! It has been a very enjoyable weekend (for me anyway)! Back to the grind tomorrow!

No comments: