Sunday, 26 July 2026

Badger tales!

I might have had enough excitement for one day last night, but Sophie obviously hadn't! When she woke up this morning, she was eager to tell me what happened yesterday evening when she went to get the cats in. Mooney was behaving strangely, and she heard a lot of rustling going on in the back garden. She took a look from the conservatory and was astonished to see a badger emerge from our bushes and then hoover up the cat biscuit we'd put down after Milo had been eating it yesterday morning. Sophie said he ambled about the garden, completely oblivious to her presence, snuffling about and making sure he had got every piece of cat biscuit on the lawn. He then shuffled off through the open gate, startling Mooney, who was wide-eyed with amazement!

We have seen badgers near the house before, and we now think this one was responsible for overturning our food bins the other week. We haven't seen any hedgehogs for ages, but we now seem to have a badger visit! We'll put some more cat biscuits down, plus water, and see what happens!

We did have some rain this morning, but it wasn't a lot, and certainly not enough to make any difference to our parched grass. Sophie and I sat in the garden with our coffees before having breakfast and making a start on our jobs. I had the Bolognese sauce to make, and Sophie blitzed her room. We were a busy household as I asked Keith to put up our "Place de L'Apero" plaque and I ordered some little hooks to display a couple of tiles that need fixing to the wall.

Although the sky clouded over at times, it was dry and breezy enough to get loads of laundry dry. We didn't see any rain at all. Sophie washed every single item on her bed, including the mattress protector and her throws. While this was going on, my Bolognese sauce simmered away on the hob.

We decided to eat a little earlier than normal, but watched the start of the Tour de France in Paris before I put the finishing touches to the meal. The Tour was doing three circuits of Montmartre, and we managed to see the hotel we stayed in!

Dinner was delicious (even I enjoyed it), and Sophie made a lovely batch of garlic bread to accompany the meal. After dinner, we relaxed and caught up with an episode of Best Medicine. It's Monday tomorrow, and my last week in my current job!

No comments: