Thursday, 23 July 2026

Driven to drink...

As Olive had been kept at the garage all night, I took Sophie to work this morning. We were a little early, so she treated me to a flat white from Costa, and it was a lot better than yesterday!

As soon as I arrived home, Keith went to Kettering to do the shopping, and I quickly tidied the house as I was expecting a man from an air conditioning company to pop around. He had been recommended by Jo at work, and he was coming to have a look at the rooms we needed cooling down! 

He arrived at 10:00am, and we had a lovely chat while he measured two of the bedrooms and the living room. If this heat continues every year, I think all of us are going to have to adapt the way we live. Sleeping in the heat hasn't been fun, and if we can have air conditioning installed, we will.

After the man (Ian) had gone, I cleaned the conservatory ready for Kym's visit to see Keith this afternoon. I had cancelled two appointments today: an eye test at Boots and my visit from Kym, as I just didn't have the time!

After lunch, I drove to see Mum and took with me some shopping that Keith had bought for her. She was still sitting in the dining room when I arrived, and we went back to her room. She seemed a little more cheerful than last week, but was still a bit maudlin when I left.

Back home, I looked at the list of training courses that my new employer had sent me, which put me into a really bad mood. I calculated there was about eight hours' worth of training to be done; there is no way I can fit this in before I start! I haven't even started with them yet!

When Sophie came home, she pointed out that one of the training courses stated I had a year to complete it, so I calmed down a bit! We talked about the house we'd seen in St Valery-sur-Somme, as I'd found details of it on the internet. It was a mere £657,692, and looking at the inside, it needs a lot of work to update it. It was gorgeous, though, and I would want to keep the original character. I just need to win the lottery now!

Unusually, I had a vodka and tonic before dinner (I've been cutting out alcohol in the week) and we chatted before Sophie prepared a meal of chicken and vegetable bake with cous cous. After the meal, Keith and I watched an episode of World War II with Tom Hanks and one of Best Medicine. It's Friday again tomorrow! Where has this week gone?!

No comments: