Saturday 6 July 2024

Victory!

I woke up with a full-blown cold this morning and really didn't fancy going to work, but needs must... Sophie took me in and went to do two Yoga classes at her gym. I was working with the lovely Sue today, and she very kindly offered to take the calls while I concentrated on the emails. I had 30 waiting for me in the cancellation box and another 20 normal ones, so I was only too glad to sort them out. By the end of the short shift, they had all been sorted. I helped Sue with calls as well, as we were busier than normal for a Saturday. The weather outside was horrible, so we took a lot of cinema bookings and swim enquiries.

Sophie picked me up at 2pm and we went home where I had lunch while reading the papers at the kitchen island. Bliss! The weather had improved and we saw a lot of blue skies and huge white clouds. Vikesh came around at 3.30pm and he and Sophie walked up to the pub for a drink before the England match at 5pm. I sat on the sofa with Keith and fell asleep for almost an hour. I was horribly stuffed up and I did wonder whether I had covid?

We all watched the football this evening and I thought it was dull in the extreme. With just ten minutes to go, England was losing to Switzerland, so we ordered our Chinese takeaway as we all thought it wouldn't go to extra time. And then England scored to equalise!

Just as the game went into the half-hour extra time, our meals arrived, so we had to pause the game while we ate! All mobile phones went onto mute and we weren't allowed to touch them, just in case we discovered the result!

At the end of the extra time, it was still 1-1 so the game went to penalties, something that Sophie loves! Switzerland missed with their first attempt and England never missed... we're through to the semi-finals and will play the Netherlands who beat Turkey.

After the game we watched Wimbledon and I hung on to see Djokovic win in a tense four-set match. He is the last of what we call The Great Four - Nadal, Federer, Murray and Djokovic - so I hope he makes it to the final next Sunday!

No comments: