Friday 5 July 2024

A new era..

So, we awoke to a new Government this morning, and in a way, I was glad because it will be interesting to see how Labour get on with running the country, and they will be under immense pressure to make changes. On a personal note, I hope they make a complete balls-up of it,  but we'll have to wait and see! If they do, they'll no doubt blame the Tories!

I tried to find out who had won in our local constituency, but the votes were still being counted. Daventry is normally a staunch Conservative area so it would be interesting to see what happened. The massive majority that Boris had in the 2019 election has been wiped out, but there were a lot more Lib Dem seats won, and the Greens now have four seats in Parliament! The turnout was disappointing, though, and just under 60% of the population bothered to vote, which is terrible. It was reflected in the women I work with, most of whom said they wouldn't go and vote as they couldn't see the point...

I drove to work and decided to tackle the swim camps and holiday activities this morning while Angela covered for me. It meant I had to leave the emails, but as I'm working tomorrow, I can sort them then. When Angela arrived, she cleaned her keyboard and desk as she was concerned about the rise of covid infections at the moment. I don't know whether her comments were a coincidence, but in the afternoon I felt like I had a cold coming on! 

I left work a lot happier than yesterday, as I'd managed to put on the first week of the swim camps and a lot of the holiday activities. Our MD had been sitting in our office all day, which was a bit off-putting, but thankfully he was out of the office when I took a call from a particularly nasty woman just before I left. She demanded that I go through all the swim stages on the Swim England website to try and ascertain which stage her daughter would be in so she could enlist her in our lessons. I refused, saying she knew how her daughter swam better than me, and to go and look with her daughter to work it out. She became nasty and abusive with me and demanded to know my name, which I was only too happy to give! If she emails in to complain, I'll be the one to see it first! Ha!

I went home and relaxed and when Sophie came home we cracked open a bottle of red wine and watched The Hotel Inspector. Alex Polizzi is my heroine and she wouldn't take any abuse!

P.S. The Conservatives held onto their Daventry seat, but Labour was snapping at their heels!


No comments: