Friday 31 August 2007

Restaurant reviews Mallorca 2007

Ca'n Costa - August 31, 2007

It was our last night…we wanted it to be special and where else could we go than Ca’n Costa? We’d booked a table the previous evening and upon arrival sat and relaxed on the comfortable sofas. I felt that little tingle of anticipation as I sipped my drink and hoped that the evening would live up to our expectations!


As it was our last evening on holiday, we pushed the boat out a little in terms of food. I chose the salt and pepper tiger prawns to start and hubby went for the smoked venison. The children, having learnt that tomato soup was on the menu, immediately chose that for their starter followed by the popular spaghetti Bolognese.

For our main courses, hubby went back to his ultimate favourite – the baked cod while I chose the duck breast with potato rosti and green beans. We decided to forgo a bottle of wine and have a glass with our main course instead. As we sat on the sofa I looked around and tried to capture the images in my head… the lovely relaxing sofas, the old camera equipment, the paintings on the wall and tried to imagine how it used to look as a cinema. Already I was feeling nostalgic and as I write this I can see the beautiful décor and wish I was back there now.

My meal was, in the words of Mr Michael Winner, “historic”. The tiger prawns were succulent and delicious, arranged on creamy risotto. Hubby’s smoked venison was great, he said, but I think I had picked the best choice. My main course of duck breast was tender and the sauce sublime. I wanted to lick the plate, it tasted so good! The potato rosti was crisp and matched the duck beautifully.

As always, the children enjoyed their spaghetti and when I read the comments book near the loo, I think other children would agree with them! Their soup had been thick and tasty and I have to admit to having a couple of spoonfuls!

While I was oohing and ahhing about my duck, I asked hubby about his cod and he said it was ever so slightly over-cooked. Not by much, he stressed, but that wonderful moistness was absent and as a connoisseur of the dish, I knew he would be able to tell. It didn’t stop him from enjoying his meal though and he did tell the waiter how he felt when he came to collect the (very) empty plates.

Amazingly, we found room for pudding and my son told the waiter what he wanted before he even saw the menu – the chocolate fondant. My daughter and husband shared a lemon and plum tart while I chose the interesting “green peppercorn and chocolate tart” with a champagne granita. Mmmmm…!

My dessert was delicious – the green peppercorns added a hint of spicy heat to the warmth of the chocolate and the champagne granita (a kind of alcoholic Slush Puppy) soothed my taste buds!

Our evening was wonderful and I have very happy memories of relaxing and enjoying the meal there before our journey home the next day. The restaurant was busy but not full and I would book in future to be sure of getting a table!

No comments: