Friday 24 August 2007

Restaurant reviews Mallorca 2007

O Lume, Puerto Pollensa 24 August 2007

O Lume has an understandably fantastic reputation on this forum with many fans who’ve eaten there and enjoyed their meals. This was our second visit, and when we arrived there was only one other table occupied. Jaime recognised me from last year (and the forum!) and we took a table near the entrance.

Jaime is a great host and his restaurant deserves to do well because of the level of service he offers to those who dine there. But one thing struck me over the evening, and that is the lack of atmosphere, which is a difficult problem to resolve with O Lume’s location. Empty restaurants make me nervous and I feel that every move I make is being watched. Up to a point Ca’n Costa suffered from this as well but this holiday we noticed it was busier than last year. O Lume is tucked away down a side street, well away from the hustle and bustle of Puerto Pollensa and despite fans going out of their way to find it, the night we visited it was very quiet.

It didn’t help much that my daughter was suffering from a painful ear and wasn’t really in the mood to be anywhere but tucked up in bed, so apologies to Jaime for leaving so hastily at the end of the evening! Anyway, our meal started off with little appetisers of fishy croquettes which the children subsequently ordered as a starter. Hubby went for the Serrano ham while I chose the dish I had last year – the grilled vegetables, which were delicious.

For our main courses, the children wanted the whole baby chicken each, and looking back, I think they would have done the meal justice, but Jaime suggested they have a half portion. Hubby chose lamb chops while I went for the veal steak in a mushroom sauce. Our choice of wine was the beautiful Son Bordils Syrah which is one of my favourites.

My veal steak was huge and had more blood than I would have preferred, but the mushroom sauce was delicious and my daughter enjoyed the small piece I offered to her. Hubby’s chops were equally delicious but being a real carnivore he would have liked them to have been a little bigger and meatier! The meals were accompanied by homemade chips and grilled vegetables.

I was unable to finish my main course because of the size but luckily hubby found room for some as I hate leaving good food. By now, my daughter was in a lot of pain with her ear so we called for the bill, and we were given a lovely liqueur and gorgeous chocolates to round off our meal.

If Jaime could somehow miraculously move his restaurant to the square in old Pollensa with outside tables to catch the cooling night breeze, he would be a millionaire in no time. It’s such a shame to see mediocre restaurants attracting huge numbers when Jaime has everything you need for a fantastic meal except that elusive prime location.

The bill came to 92 euros including wine and soft drinks.

No comments: