Wednesday 29 August 2007

Restaurant reviews Mallorca 2007

Hair-raising lunch at La Victoria - August 29, 2007

With my clammy hands gripping the steering wheel and my heart pounding, it suddenly dawned on me that the spectacular view from La Victoria restaurant had to involve a climb somehow... and I'm terrified of driving in the mountains...


I'm not sure whether this would count as a mountain, though, and the hairpin bends only lasted a kilometre or so, but I was hugely relieved to reach the car park at the summit of the road and climb the steps to La Victoria restaurant.

I'd hauled my poor family out of the swimming pool as I'd always wanted to eat here and only had a vague sense of where it was. Happily, La Victoria is signposted from Alcudia old town so it was easy to find.

Another misconception of mine was to think the restaurant was simply a snack bar serving pizza and baguettes, but as we walked in we were greeted by the full works - beautifully set tables with tablecloths and an array of cutlery and glasses...plus a spectacular view across the bay to Puerto Pollensa.

We took a table on the second row from the balcony and my husband shot me a filthy look...I shrugged my shoulders and explained to the children that their lunchtime pizza might be off today.

Happily, La Victoria does a fantastic Menu del dia for 13 euros so with my husband mollified we ordered soup, chicken and escalope followed by ice cream and washed down with chilled bottles of water (the prospect of driving back down again had me quivering with nerves).

The food was delicious and the tomato soup went down well with all of us. The chicken was moist and served with a garlicky sauce accompanied by chips and vegetables. The menu is pretty extensive and if you're in the mood for a long leisurely lunch, I can't think of many places that would top this restaurant on a clear day.

There was a sort of hushed atmosphere as if everyone was just content to gaze at the wonderful view (or perhaps, like me, they were contemplating the drive back down the "mountain")!

All in all, a lovely experience and we will definitely do it again. The service was efficient and friendly and there was a small play area for children.

The bill for lunch for the four of us with drinks came to about 65 euros.

No comments: