Sunday 26 August 2007

Restaurant reviews Mallorca 2007

Stay, Puerto Pollensa - August 26 2007

After our meal at Eu Centro I suggested to hubby that we have a bit of a treat the next night, so off to Stay we went. We’d only ever eaten there at lunchtime before and I was keen to sit and watch the view of Puerto Pollensa by night.

We made sure we booked a table and arrived promptly at 8.30pm before being seated at a table just outside the main entrance. It was very busy. I’d forgotten how large the restaurant is and I looked forward to seeing how the place could maintain the standards we’d come to expect on such a frenetic evening.

I have to say the view was stunning. We weren’t on the front line, that is to say, right by the water’s edge, but we had a good view of the twinkling lights of the town and the sun sinking behind the beautifully crinkly mountains that form the wonderful backdrop to PP.

Our food order was taken quickly and efficiently and the Maitre’ D recommended a wine to go with our meal. Hubby chose the tomato salad with marinated mackerel to start followed by duck breast and my choices were the partridge ravioli in a mushroom sauce and then the pork loin in an apple and calvados sauce.

As we sat and admired the view little freebie starters of pea puree balanced on spoons arrived, accompanied by bread rolls and French toast. My son looked at his spoon in amusement and nothing I did could induce him to try it!




Our starters were fine but I have to admit to opening a little ravioli parcel and peering inside to find just a smidgen of partridge. The sauce was deliciously creamy and the portion generous. Hubby’s mackerel and tomato salad was described as superb.

While we ate our starters, the children’s main courses arrived and my daughter gamely worked her way through an adult portion of chicken. It was a dish I had ordered last year and was very good. Succulent chunks of chicken in a creamy sauce accompanied by a little pastry hat. My son had his favourite meal of spaghetti which disappeared rapidly.

There was no sign of the wine, however and when our main courses were delivered to the table, I asked a passing waiter what had happened to it. Within seconds, an ice bucket and a bottle of Ca’n Vidalet white arrived, but we’d ordered a red. This was the second time this particular wine had failed to find a home as the couple sitting at the next table were offered it too…

Another waiter rushed up and asked us what we’d ordered. “We’ve no idea,” we replied. “The Maitre D’ recommended it.” He rushed off again and at this point, I realised that the staff had lost it.

Eventually, our wine arrived halfway through our main course and turned out to be a very good Rioja Reserva which tasted like a rich sherry. However, our main courses were not up to the standards I’d expected from Stay. Hubby and I were given each other’s meals and at first, we almost didn’t notice. My pork was tasteless and I couldn’t detect any Calvados in the sauce at all. Hubby’s duck could have been swapped for my pork and we’d have been none the wiser despite it being covered in a green pepper sauce.

The constant coming and goings around us reminded me, sadly, of a works canteen and with every passing footstep, I seemed to bounce up and down in my seat! The staff were rushing around madly and I heard at least two angry remarks directed at the waiters and waitresses from the harassed Maitre D’.

The children decided to have dessert and ordered the three chocolate mousse and the crème Bruleé which were delicious. A nice touch at the end of the evening was a free liqueur for us adults and gorgeous chilled chocolates.

I’m not sure whether I would venture into Stay again at night, but maybe we caught it at the wrong time seeing as it was high season. It’s a very popular restaurant and the setting is exceptional but I’m not sure about the wooden decking…!







No comments: