Saturday 5 October 2024

Provence 28th of September - 5th of October 24

Saturday 5th of October

A long journey...

I didn't have the best of sleep last night, unfortunately, and was dreading the long journey home today. For some reason, I just couldn't get to sleep and I was still awake at midnight! I woke up this morning at 6.30am and was very grouchy! Poor Sophie made me a coffee and did all the packing for us, bless her! She was a tremendous help and I did apologise for being such a misery!

We were facing a journey of over 300 miles to get to the town of Arras, where we'd booked a table for a late lunch. Sophie had booked Le Petit Rat Porteur, a restaurant we'd visited before, and she was looking forward to a beef casserole, even though they served one of her favourite dishes, a Welsh!

Our plan was to leave at 8am as it was going to take us a good five hours to get to Northern France, taking into account stops for petrol and to use the facilities at the aires. Isabelle said she would meet us to take back the keys, and we messaged her asking if she could make it earlier as we were ready by 7.30am.

It was a lovely morning, but chilly and I was so glad the roads were quiet as it was quite confusing to get back onto the autoroute. I have a dread of going the wrong way down a street and meeting oncoming traffic, so we did a few diversions down deserted roads until we saw signs for the motorway!

Once on the autoroute, we saw the 300-odd miles diminish and the road was quiet, which meant it was a little boring! Keith looked out for buzzards and saw many sitting on the fence overlooking the autoroute. Some of them were splendid-looking with white chests and beautiful plumage. I also spotted my mistletoe balls, so we were both happy!

Burgundy must be a large region of France because it took us almost two hours to get to Troyes, where we'd turned off the autoroute last Saturday! Once past Reims, we began to look forward to getting to Arras for a much-needed break and lunch! 

Horse, anyone?

Trish expertly took us into Arras and we were lucky to find a parking space near the centre. There was a market going on and the place was heaving with people sitting outside at bars and restaurants and enjoying beer and wine. The weather was beautiful with warm sunshine and blue skies.

We arrived at the restaurant almost an hour earlier than we'd planned so I asked if we could eat early. We had booked a table in the cellar restaurant and luckily, it was free. We sat and perused the menu and I noticed horse steak listed as one of the dishes. Definitely not a choice for us!

We chose the 30 euro set menu - Keith chose poached eggs with a local cheese, I had goat's cheese salad and Sophie opted for the salad served with camembert. Sophie and I both chose the "flammande de boeuf" for our main course while Keith opted for the chicken.

The place was very busy with a big party next to us celebrating a birthday. Sophie and Keith were fascinated by a toddler who was wandering around annoying other diners while his parents ignored him and stuffed themselves with their lunch!

Our food arrived and my salad was delicious. The goat's cheese was presented on little toasts and I had smoky bacon mixed in with the salad leaves. Both Keith and Sophie enjoyed their starters as well, and looking back this would have satisfied me, along with a dessert!

Sophie and I didn't honestly enjoy our beef stew. There was a bitter aftertaste to it, and Sophie could detect cinnamon in the dish. It was served with more salad and French fries but we couldn't put our finger on what the bitter taste was, unless it was Flemish beer?

We had already ordered our desserts - profiteroles for Keith, Tiramisu for Sophie and a waffle for me, and by the time we'd finished, the restaurant had emptied out. One of the women at the large birthday party said we'd have peace now as she walked up the stairs and grinned at me. We have met such friendly people on this holiday, and they have all been lovely and understanding with my schoolgirl French!

After paying the bill (Sophie's treat) we waddled off back to the car, stopping at a chemist on the way so Sophie could stock up on her favourite French perfume and skin care. We then popped into a Carrefour where I bought some more chocolates for my Mum and for work, but no Cracksters. I think we have enough!








Homeward bound

The last leg of the journey up to Calais was easy and the roads were empty. Just as we were about to get close to the Shuttle terminal, we encountered a traffic jam, the first for 1,600 miles! I suspected it was because the A16 to Dunkerque was closed, but the delay only held us up for about twenty minutes, and soon we were checking in and choosing an earlier train.

We had a look in Duty-Free but decided we had enough wine to last us! We were called to board and while we waited I drifted off, waking with a start when Keith said our line was driving onto the train! Once on board, I put my seat right back, asked Sophie to hand me one of my pillows and slept for the entire crossing! I felt much better when I woke up and was more than ready to face the journey back home.

We arrived back in Britain at about 5.30pm and the journey home, along the M20, M25, M11 and A14 was smooth and easy. Our house was cold and smelt very catty! They were happy to see us but a bit wary at first, almost as if they had forgotten us! Isla had left us a note and the cats looked sleek and glossy. Gomez even looked a little fatter!

We left most of the stuff in the car, Keith made me a G&T and we sat and watched television until it was time for bed. I knew we had a mammoth job tomorrow, unpacking and sorting out the washing, but I was looking forward to a good night's sleep in my bed! Bliss!

No comments: