Friday 3 May 2024

Dining out

Today has not been enjoyable at work. I had to answer the phone as we had a member of staff on annual leave, and my first phone call was long and complicated! Not really what I needed! In between calls, I tried to answer the emails, so I was heartily glad when it was 4pm and I could go home. Unfortunately, I'm back in on Bank Holiday Monday answering calls, and we're one short on Tuesday as well...

Sophie and I went out this evening with Lynda and Andrea to The Royal Oak in Cogenhoe for a meal. We called for Lynda to give her a lift and admired her new kitchen. After seeing the house, we splashed our way to the pub (it had been pouring all day) where we met Andrea in the bar. The pub was busy with drinkers and we were shown through to the quiet dining room with our drinks.

We had heard that the pub had been taken over, and I was a little apprehensive that we were the only ones eating (another couple did come in). We had a good chat and a look at the menu, ordering breaded mushrooms (Sophie and I) and king prawns (Lynda and Andrea). When the hesitant waitress came to take our order, she said that the prawns might be off, and when she returned after enquiring, they were. Lynda and Andrea then ordered the halloumi starter, but this was not available either! We all ended up with breaded mushrooms with a garlic dip which was the strongest I've ever tasted!

I'd chosen the rump steak as a main course, but this wasn't available so I went for the 8oz sirloin served with chunky chips, mushrooms and peas. Both Lynda and Andrea opted for the lamb shank served with mashed potatoes and vegetables, while Sophie enjoyed vegetarian meatballs and pasta.

Our waitress was young and hesitant and obviously hadn't been told what the evening specials were. She didn't try and sell us bottled water, sides or sauces and just plonked our second bottle of wine on the table without any ceremony. I'm glad it was a screw top and not a cork!

We managed to find room for puds - chocolate layer cake for Sophie and me, cheesecake for Lynda and sticky toffee pudding for Andrea. The food had been acceptable, the portions reasonable, but the poor waitress needed some training! The bill came to £193. so not cheap! It had been a great evening and lovely to catch up with friends.

We took Lynda home and splashed through the sodden roads again. I was looking forward to a lie-in tomorrow morning!

No comments: