Tuesday 19 August 2008

Restaurant reviews Mallorca 2008

Bistro Mar, Cala San Vicente - Tuesday 19 August 2008


I love Cala San Vicente. In fact, if I ever found myself lucky enough to be able to buy a property in Mallorca, I would love to live there. So I was looking forward to eating in the resort and in particular to trying out another new restaurant - Bistro Mar, formerly known as Bistro Balaixa, which is situated just along the road from Molins beach.

We arrived early in the evening and parked in the car park opposite, before strolling over the road and checking out the menu. It looked very appealing so we booked a table for 8pm and then went and enjoyed a drink or two in the Bar Mallorca nearby.

When we arrived there were still a few tables free, but the outside terrace filled up rapidly so booking is advisable.

Arnie immediately made us feel very welcome and was chatty and friendly, even sitting at the table with us and discussing the menu when hubby popped to the loo. Mandy was also very friendly and it’s obvious this couple know and love what they are doing. Another waitress was also friendly and attentive and all three had smiles on their faces and a welcoming air.

The menu is great and includes lots of tapas dishes, pasta, curry, fish of the day, lamb and burgers. We chose a couple of portions of cheesy garlic bread to start, followed by the three cheese tagliatelle for my daughter (who I have to say stuffed herself back at the villa with alioli and bread and therefore hadn‘t much of an appetite). My son chose the chicken curry and requested it quite hot while hubby and I went for the shoulder of lamb in a Rioja sauce.

The lamb was served on a bed of tomatoes, peppers and onions with huge potato wedges and was tender and delicious. But, beware… it was a large portion! My son enjoyed his curry and it really was quite hot, but can be adapted to taste. My daughter picked out some of the cheese (the variety we enjoy with the mouldy bits in!) but enjoyed her pasta very much.

Only my son found room for dessert - a delicious chocolate mousse with a puff pastry wedge.

Whilst you’re there check out the loos which bear lots of hallmarks of the old Balaixa, including individual flannels and some lovely lotions and potions. I also spotted a lovely lounge area with lots of candles that I presume is for drinks before the meal. Bistro Mar is a great, very atmospheric place with a wonderful relaxing feel to it.

The bill came to 109 euros which included a couple of glasses of wine and lots of mineral water - another scorching night!

No comments: