Saturday 16 August 2008

Restaurant reviews Mallorca 2008

 El Temple restaurant, Pollenca - Saturday 16 August 2008


Even now, just over a week after we ate at this lovely little restaurant I still feel a warm glow inside when I think back to our evening there. It’s certainly attracted some great reviews and I was looking forward to experiencing it for myself.






We’d made sure of a table by booking the evening before and when we arrived we were shown through to the pretty courtyard at the back of the restaurant. My daughter nearly threw a pre-teenage tantrum when she sat down and was almost swallowed up by a tree (one of many that make this terrace so beautiful) but after some shifting of the table, she was eventually happy.

There’s an almost medieval air about El Temple…maybe it’s the stone carving outside the restaurant or the stone walls within, but it sums up just how much I love the old town of Pollensa and her beautiful ancient buildings.

Another reason for liking this restaurant was the head waiter who simply loves his job (or gives the impression he does). He was wonderful - very chatty and friendly and was more than happy to give us more bread to go with our olives and aioli - I wonder who ate all the alioli? 

We ordered starters of herring and mango salad (hubby) and shrimp and avocado salad (me). Mine was superb - big succulent prawns and avocado bathed in a Marie Rose and Balsamic vinegar sauce nestled on a huge pile of salad. It would have done for a main course!

For main courses the children chose beef stew, hubby went for the rabbit which he enjoyed, while I plumped for the pork in a honey and curry sauce. My pork was plentiful and came served on a skewer with the delicious sauce. The children wolfed down their beef stew which looked delicious - the big chunks of beef were very tender. Each dish was accompanied by sauteed potatoes and vegetables (courgettes, green beans and carrots).

I ordered a bottle of the Son Bordils Negre - at 14% it reminded me of a French Chateauneuf-du-Pape with its blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Tempranillo, Callet and Syrah grape varieties and was smooth, full-bodied and fruity.

Hubby and I were too stuffed for dessert but the children found room for a mousse each - one was white and the other dark chocolate. The waiter wound them up and brought four spoons but we were happy to see them lick their plates clean!

The bill came to 100 euros which I thought was fantastic value and when we went to pay inside we received a complimentary brandy - a lovely touch and a great way of ending an evening that will live in my memory for a long time.

No comments: