Thursday 17 August 2006

Restaurant reviews Mallorca 2006

Late for O Lume...

My first visit to O Lume could have been my last when we were late for our booking at 8pm. I’d left the family in the square enjoying a drink and went off to find it, having only the vaguest memory of where it actually was, tucked away down one of the back streets of PP.

After almost giving up, I tried one more time and this time was lucky, so after booking, I returned to the square and was shocked to find it was already 7.45pm. My husband had just ordered another beer and wasn’t going to be rushed so I sat and wriggled with impatience while he finished his drink and managed to catch the waiter’s eye at CafĂ© L’Algar to pay our bill.

As we walked in (I take it the man in charge was Jaime?) he teased me by looking at his watch and I was very apologetic for being late.

So, I was there, at the famous O Lume and we were seated at the back of the restaurant on a little outside terrace opposite another family. While we studied the menu we were given little freebie starters of fishy croquettes for the children and a sort of fishy potato salad for us adults. Delicious! We also enjoyed bread and butter.

The restaurant was quiet, and the service we were receiving (from Jaime?) was wonderful. Very polite, attentive and friendly.

For starters, hubby and I chose grilled vegetables which were fantastic. They were cooked beautifully and included carrots, courgettes, onions, tomatoes and asparagus. There was a delicious sweetness to them and they made a great entrance to the meal.

The children enjoyed grilled chicken for their main course while hubby chose the barbecued rabbit and I went for veal escalope. Both our dishes were delicious and it was a lovely change to have veal amidst all the ducks and lambs I’d been eating. The veal was in a tasty, creamy sauce and served with vegetables and crispy French fries. Our wine choice of the evening was a Jaume Mesquida Negre which was a very reasonable 12 euros. It was fruity and full-bodied and had a slight hint of liquorice and pears poached in wine.

It was while we were eating dinner that I was recognised by the family opposite who had seen my photo on the forum, so we had a great chat about the restaurant. We were both of the opinion that O Lume was certainly living up to its reputation.

For dessert, I just had to experience the fried milk and it was great! Like a custard tart encased in a light batter and served with ice cream. The children had very good quality chocolate ice cream, which of course they wolfed down!

As we sat back, satisfied, and with big smiles on our faces, Jaime offered us a complimentary liqueur and with them, the most delicious chilled chocolates.

All in all, this ranks as one of the top meals we had over the two weeks. Not only in terms of food and service but for incredible value for money when I compare it to Cantonet. The meal for the four of us came to a fantastic 77 euros, half the price of the Pollensa restaurant. Cantonet didn’t even begin to compare when it came to our overall experience.

I cannot understand why this wonderful restaurant is not packed to the rafters every night. As the evening wore on, I was pleased to see more diners arriving and I only hope that
it continues to be successful and word will spread.

I know the next time we visit PP, we’ll be straight back.

No comments: